Varde Kommune (Danish)
|Established||1 January 2007|
|• Mayor||Mads Sørensen|
|• Total||1,256 km2 (485 sq mi)|
(1. January 2023)
|• Density||40/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Varde Municipality (Danish: Varde Kommune) is a kommune in the Region of Southern Denmark on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in southwest Denmark. Its mayor is Mads Sørensen, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party. The main town and site of its municipal council is the town of Varde. It covers an area of 1255.79 km2 with a population of 49,995 (2023).
On 1 January 2007 Varde municipality was, as a result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007), merged with the existing Blaabjerg, Blåvandshuk, most of Helle (Grimstrup parish, a part of the former Helle Municipality, merged with Esbjerg Municipality), and Ølgod municipalities to form a new Varde municipality. Årre is also located in Varde.
Varde's municipal council consists of 25 members, elected every four years. The municipal council has six political committees.
Below are the municipal councils elected since the Municipal Reform of 2007.
|2005||4||3||8||16||31||73.5%||Gylling Haahr (V)|
|2013||4||1||2||2||15||1||73.4%||Erik Buhl Nielsen (V)|
|2021||6||5||1||1||1||10||68.4%||Mads Sørensen (V)|
|Data from Kmdvalg.dk 2005, 2009, 2013, 2017 and 2021|
- "BY2: Population 1. January by municipality, city size, age, sex and time". The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark.
- "Byråd og udvalg".
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Municipality's official website
- Varde portal
- Varde Official Tourist Information
- Varde Attractions - museums and other sites of interest in Varde